Join our mission. To make every kid feel like a hero...
At Tech Will Save Us we create make-it-yourself kits and apps that help kids all over the world to make, play, code, and invent using technology.
Two years ago, we launched our making + coding platform, Make, along with the Creative Coder and a block-based coding environment for kids to program it. Last year, we Kickstarted a new range of products, the Dough Universe, and built a React Native app to accompany them. So far this year, we have partnered with Marvel to produce the Electro Hero Kit, launched not one, but two super-affordable kits along with a fresh set of digital experiences to guide the young superheroes to success. Right now, we're busy working on more awesomeness for 2019 and beyond...
Bring your superpower to Tech Will Save Us and help our team of innovative engineers, designers, marketers, educators and content producers to help empower the next generation of makers.
We’re looking for a bright, enthusiastic and creative person to lead the development team and help us to build experiences that delight, inspire, amaze both kids and parents alike. You’ll use your experience to lead by making, growing a team who can create technology and products that are delightful, engaging and easy-to-use while also delivering value for the business.
This is a hands-on role, and requires a high level of technical knowledge and expertise. However, this is more than just a coding role. You’ll be part of a team who decide what we build and how. This is a great opportunity to have a direct impact on the way people—both young and old—learn using technology.
The main aims of the role will be to:
- Create awesome, robust and sustainable products. Starting from concept all the way to sitting in the hands of hundreds of thousands of kids
- Lead a development team capable of delivering the ambitions of the business. Developing the team, their abilities and ensuring their happiness and continual improvement.
- Lead technical decision-making, and support technical requirements within all areas of the business.
- Champion the discovery, evaluation and implementation of new technologies, tools and systems to enable the company’s growth.
- Ensure technical best practice and achieve excellent team productivity and satisfaction
- Nurture a culture of supportive collaboration, trusted innovation, hard work and continuous learning.
The ideal candidate would have most of these:
- At least five years experience building digital products, preferably in a startup environment. Working right through research, ideation, prototyping, testing, production, and evolution.
- Experience managing and growing development teams, guiding personal development and iterating team processes to adapt to new challenges and deliver continual improvement.
- Comfortable working right across the stack and across platforms: frontend, backend, devops, web, mobile, desktop. No need to be an expert, but you shouldn’t be afraid to get stuck in.
- Experience working with e-commerce sites, preferably using PHP. Comfortable working with a marketing team to help evolve and deliver their requirements.
- Experience building a modern web architecture using AWS, Docker, CI, and Github.
These would also be great to see:
- Experience working with electronics, particularly embedded software (e.g Arduino, C++).
- Native mobile experience on iOS and Android, particularly working at a hardware level.
- Experience with data architecture: Integrating data sources into a data warehouse + BI tools.
We can offer the opportunity to work within a talented and friendly team doing good work in the world — if you want to look back on your career and know that you were a vital part of building a great company, this role is for you. On top of that:
- 25 days annual holiday, plus bank holidays
- Equity as part of our EMI Scheme
- Professional learning and development fund for all employees
- Flexible work hours as needed, to fit around childcare
- Vibrant office environment at our London HQ, NYC and Parisian co-working spaces
- Weekly team lunches and fresh fruit, nuts, beer, tea and decent coffee
- Bi-annual company make-a-thons to expand your skills and get creative with technology
- A generous bike-to-work scheme plus in-house bike storage
- Generous parental leave policy
- Epic holiday parties all about learning and being creative
We believe that the best work comes from a diverse team. If our mission excites you, and you can contribute to our culture of lifelong learning and growth we want to hear from you!